1. Download the package (choose Ubuntu .deb 64-bit)
2. Open Terminal
3. Install the Dropbox files plugin from Elementary's stable ppa :
sudo apt-get install pantheon-files-plugin-dropbox
4. Go to your /Downloads folder and open the .deb with GDebi Package Installer (or whatever package manager you may have installed)
Sunday, January 26, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014
There are several popular desktop office suites for Linux:
Missing from Linux until recently was Kingsoft Office. It's been my favorite alternative to Microsoft Office on Windows for a number of years. So I was excited to find an Alpha version developed by the Kingsoft WPS Community that is not only free; it also comes with the latest interface (2013) and runs great on Elementary OS. Plus, if you've installed Elementary Tweaks like I showed you, you can run these apps full-screen (hidden plank and status bar).
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Elementary OS is my favorite Linux distribution. It's simple, fast and well designed. On the HP Chromebook 14, it's the perfect companion to Chrome OS. Here's how to install it using crouton (see below for differences between crouton and Chrubuntu).
This post is written with the average user in mind - like myself, so I hope a lot of people will find it helpful. I don't take credit for this tutorial, since it's heavily based on this guide I found on Reddit, as well as another article from a user 'Brad' (for the Acer C7). However, I will detail each step further and adding tweaks specifically for the HP Chromebook 14.
There are many ways to install Elementary OS. The approach that works best (with minimal bugs) seems to involve a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 with XFCE environment, then adding Elementary desktop, and finally removing XFCE. Some users may take shortcuts or go a different way, but this worked for me and I can personally vouch for it.
|Elementary OS 0.2 Luna|
After this tutorial :- You will have a chroot with Elementary OS 0.2 Luna
- You'll be able to switch seamlessly between Chrome OS and Elementary OS
- No need to reboot!
- Synced clipboard across both OS
- Fixes and improvements for performance
- Working hotkeys for volume, brightness and full screen mode
- Elementary Tweaks for additional interface customization and themes